The number one cause of injuries to senior citizens is falls in and around the home. So, what precautions can you take to prevent any accidents? If you are searching for “home safety checklist for seniors“, Canyon Winds Retirement Community is here to help!
Home Safety Checklist
Thousands of older people fall at home every year, risking serious injury. These falls are often due to commonly overlooked items or hazards placed inside the home. Luckily, many of these falls are avoidable by following a simple checklist of items to make your home as safe as possible.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors inside the home.
- Install good lighting indoors and outdoors.
- Place a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
- Make yearly inspections a priority (fuel-burning appliances, etc).
- All surfaces need to be slip resistant.
- Keep furniture away from walking paths.
- Easy to access light switches.
- Secure all rugs and carpets.
- All cords are away from walking areas.
- Repair all loose floorboards.
- Use cordless phones, if possible.
- Don’t use throw rugs.
- Food, dishes, pots and pans are easy to reach.
- Use a step stool with a handrail for anything that is difficult to access.
- Stairways need strong handrails.
- Stairways need to be well lit at all times.
- No patterns on carpets; always opt for solid colors.
- No clutter on bedroom floors.
- Nightlights are easy to reach near beds.
- Lamp and telephone close to beds.
- Grab bars on all bathroom walls.
- Slip-resistant rugs near bathing areas.
- Shower chair in the shower/bathtub.
- Use a liquid soap dispenser in the shower.
- Get a toilet seat with armrests.
Senior Living Near Me
Are you or a loved one considering a move to an independent living community? If so, there are many benefits of independent living, especially regarding senior safety. Here are a few of the top benefits of moving out of your home and into a community:
One of the greatest upsides of independent living is freedom from the day to day tasks associated with homeownership. Your loved one will no longer be responsible for taking care of the yard or repairing a running toilet. Maintenance and housekeeping employees are available to take on these and other tasks so they can focus on other aspects of their life.
Days of numerous bills are long gone. In an independent living community, every bill – think utilities, rent, and even the cable bill — are combined into one, easy, monthly payment. The general cost of moving into an independent living community can additionally be financially beneficial. If your loved one is downsizing from their present home, independent living can help decrease their monthly spending and allow them to use their money in other ways.
Getting older comes with uncommon challenges – One of them is making new friends. But living in an independent community means they’re surrounded by others in similar stages of life. And without additional responsibilities like home upkeep or grocery shopping to be concerned about — plus a team of employees who are committed to planning daily activities — making it easy to connect with like-minded people and take in the benefits of continual social interactions.
Canyon Winds Retirement Offers Assisted Living in Mesa, Arizona
Canyon Winds Retirement is an assisted living facility in Mesa, Arizona. To schedule a tour of our assisted living facility, contact SLS Communities or for more information please call us today at 480-405-1129.
More Articles About Senior Living
- Assisted Living Facilities Near Me
- Retirement Party Ideas For Coworker
- Covid-19 Vaccine: What Seniors Need To Know
- Retiring In Arizona Pros And Cons
- 5 Crafts For Seniors With Dementia
- Top 5 Best Part Time Jobs For Seniors At Home
- How To Retire Early At 45 – Steps To Retirement
- How To Talk To A Parent With Dementia
- Assisted Living Vs Memory Care
- Assisted Living Pros and Cons | Advantages & Disadvantages
- How To Pay For Assisted Living With Medicare
- How Much Does Assisted Living Cost in Arizona?
- Retirement Wishes For A Boss
- How Much Does Assisted Living Cost In Mesa, Arizona?
- Independent Living Cost Arizona
- How Much Does Independent Living Cost?
- What is Memory Care?
- Benefits of Assisted Living
- Benefits of Independent Living
- Moving from Assisted Living to a Memory Care Facility
- Outdoor Activities For Seniors
- What Is Independent Living?
- What is Assisted Living?
- Retirement, Quotes, Sayings and Wishes
- How To Find A Retirement Community In Mesa, Arizona